I absolutely hate to climb into an unmade bed. Hate it! So… I make ours every day. Toney was previously more agnostic on the subject, but she’s come around on it, too. Once in a great while I’m rushed and have to be somewhere earlier than normal, and it gets forgotten. And she doesn’t like to climb into that clammy mess either. But it’s my job to keep the shit maintained. Somehow.
I’ve gotten pretty good at it through the years. In fact, I know all the military tucks, and everything. I’m not saying I always do that, but it’s in my repertoire. The only thing that throws me off is the quilt we use as a comforter. An old lady who lived down the street from us when I was growing up made it for us as a wedding present (I think). It’s a handmade quilt, and very cool. She’s gone now, of course. She’d be roughly 120 years old if she were still around. Anyway, that thing is SLIGHTLY rectangular. You can’t really tell by looking, but if you put it on wrong you’ll notice it. So… I’d say four days out of seven I do it the wrong way, which triggers some bitchin’. “Why is this thing not square?!” I’ve shouted a million times.
But I do good work. I’m quite accomplished in the art of bed-making, thank you very much. I’m not sure I could change the oil in my car, but we all have our areas of expertise. What are you feelings on this subject. Is it simply mandatory that the bed be made daily? Please bring us up to date on this important subject.
I also have a few additional sleep-related questions. Don’t feel compelled to answer them all. Just pick and choose the ones that interest you. Here ya go:
- How many hours of sleep do you believe you require to function well, and how many do you usually get? I need 7 or 8, and get 5 or 6. And it’s mostly my own fault.
- What time do you generally hit the sack? It’s after 1 am for me. Sometimes as late as 2:30.
- Do you read in bed? I do, almost nightly. I’d say six nights per week, generally. I use a Kindle Paperwhite, one of the greatest inventions yet.
- What’s your standard sleep position? I start off on my side, but Toney says I eventually end up on my back. She has a big problem with this, and says it’s weird.
- What do you wear to bed? I know… completely nude. I’ve asked this question before, and everybody claims to sleep naked. Is this really true? I sleep in underwear and a t-shirt.
- Do you wear socks to bed? If so, why in God’s name?! I can’t even imagine such a thing.
- How often do you wash your sheets? We’re inconsistent with it, but nothing ridiculous. I knew people during the Greensboro and Atlanta years who claimed to have not washed their sheets in years. Years! That was back when I was in my 20s and associated with people in their 20s. Ridiculous.
And that’s all I can muster, my friends. Please share your thoughts on these sleep-related items.
I almost didn’t make this Friday update, but got it in with 54 minutes to spare! I hope all’s well in your corner o’ the world. I’ll see you guys again soon.
Have a great day!
Support the Surf Report with a monthly $4 donation at Patreon, and get an extra podcast episode every week! We’re also at Venmo (@thewvsr) and PayPal (firstname.lastname@example.org). In Canada? Do your shopping at Amazon! Thank you, guys!