Do idiots know they’re idiots? Possibly not. But I’m fairly certain I’m not one of them. My problems stem from low self-esteem and a bad personality, not stupidity. I’m almost sure of it.
However… I have a lot of trouble with iTunes. And people love to say the program is idiot-proof. Right? That’s the canned comment. I’ve heard it a hundred times.
It’s a myth. That thing will work great for months, and suddenly turn into a shithouse for no known reason. It happened today, and caused me to scream at my monitor like a mental patient. And make our dog run for cover.
I have a first generation iPod nano, from 2005. I use it daily at work, and have for years. It’s the tiny 2 gig model, so every morning I have to go into iTunes and pick ‘n’ choose the podcasts I want to add and delete. It’s a manual process, because there’s not enough room on that antique to allow automatic syncing. I subscribe to about 25 podcasts, and the device would max out after 10 or so.
It’s no big deal. It usually takes less than five minutes to get my old friend ready for another day of work. But today nothing was as normal. And the frustration made me want to eat a section of drywall.
As I said, I use the program EVERY DAY. And have for YEARS. I know my way around it. I know how the sidebar likes to disappear, and how to bring it back. I know how you often have to refresh the podcasts, even though it’s supposed to happen automatically. I’m familiar with all the little quirks of iTunes, and adapt accordingly.
But… it still causes me to go all the way to the cusp of insanity, about once a quarter. Is that built in, for some reason? The quarterly Fuck with Everyone feature? I’m starting to suspect it is. I think Apple employees say, “It’s almost time for Fuck with Everyone again!” And somebody else says, “Already?! It seems like we were Fucking with Everyone just a couple weeks ago. It comes around so quickly now.”
I know what you’re going to say: 1) Some variation of “you don’t know what you’re doing” or 2) “Get a more modern iPod.” I reject both of those notions. I have no problem 90% of the time, and do the same thing every day. So, that remaining 10% is my fault? Ha! I think not. I turn my riffled ass in the direction of such theories.
Next in our Myths series: That old Swiffer couple on TV is whimsical and charming. Is it wrong of me to hope she knocks that ceiling fan off and decapitates Morty? Be sure not to miss it!
If you have any Myths to suggest for future installments, please use the comments link below.
And I’ll see you guys again soon.
Have a great day!