Buckwild is the kind of show I’d normally put in the “rather take a weed-whacker to my penis” category. Meaning, I’d never watch it, in a million years. In fact, it’s described as the hillbilly Jersey Shore, and that doesn’t help me much — because I’ve never seen one minute of Jersey Shore.
The only reason I’ve checked out this new show, is because it’s filmed in Sissonville, WV, which is roughly 15 miles from where I grew up. My uncle Chuck is from Sissonville, and so is Surf Reporter dr. drofub. So, I have a connection, and a curiosity.
Therefore, I flopped down on Friday night and endured three episodes, back to back. And here are some quick thoughts…
- It’s cool to see shots of Charleston, and places I recognize. “Hey, I know where that is!” was shouted inside our living room, more than once.
- The cast kept calling Morgantown “the big city,” and the producers emphasized that point: Look at these backwood hicks, who think a town like Morgantown is the big city! It’s fun to laugh at them, isn’t it? However, they all live in or near Charleston, which is larger than “Motown,” as they call it. I think there’s a little manipulation going on. I’m shocked, simply shocked.
- The hillbilly games were almost certainly cooked up by writers. I don’t believe those people did any of that stuff before the cameras arrived. With the exception of the dude and his battered truck… The rest of it is MTV-created, I suspect.
- I find it disheartening that Sissonville hicks now listen to hip-hop, and not Lynyrd Skynyrd and Molly Hatchet. My whole worldview has been rocked.
- The guys on that show seem OK. Sure, they’re dumbasses, but none are overly annoying. The girls, on the other hand, get on my last nerve. I can’t stand any of them. Constant drama, and discussions about how they were slighted, etc. My molars were grinding into each other. They take off their shirts a lot, and trigger the pixilation team at MTV headquarters… but that’s their only saving grace. All of them are horrible.
Have you seen the show, yet? If so, what are your thoughts? Tell us about it in the comments.
And this is the last I’ll ever speak of it. Pass the beer nuts.
Have a great day, my friends.